Friday 25 January 2013

Emeralds and Ice Quilt - finished!

I finished stitching down the binding on my Emeralds and Ice quilt late last week - yay!  A change of backdrop - I thought this quilt might look good in this cool green corner of my parents' garden.

giant star quilt

Finally, I managed to get a picture of the back of the quilt.  I used a lovely soft voile from Spotlight that had a fun modern floral design in just the right shade of green.

green and blue star quilt

I am very happy I decided to include the little pops of print.

half square triangles quilt

The sun was going down as I took these photos, so the quilt looks darker here than it is in real life.

half square triangles quilt

The first photos were taken before I washed and dried this quilt.  Because I starch the quilt top and back before basting, I like to pre-wash quilts before gifting them.  I used a couple of colour catchers with this one to soak up any colour bleed from the dark green fabric, and was glad to see I didn't have any issues.  I did, however, get a lot of crinkle.  I will give this quilt a light press before I send it off to my friend, but I don't mind the crinkle.

giant star quilt

Ivy really loves this voile.  I only put the quilt down for a second and she was on it instantly.  I wouldn't normally let my cats sit on a quilt that I am gifting after it has been washed, but I know my friend will let her cat on this quilt, so I wasn't too worried this time.

emerald flowers voile

Quilt Stats
Pattern:  My own, inspired by this quilt from Red Pepper Quilts.
Finished Size:  Approximately 62 inches square.
Fabric: Robert Kaufman Kona Cotton in Ice Frappe and Clover, Philip Jacobs Rambling Rose in Green for Westminster Fibres.
Backing: Flora and Fauna voile from Spotlight.
Binding: Robert Kaufman Kona Cotton in Clover.
Pieced and quilted by: me, on my domestic sewing machine.

This quilt is the second of my first quarter goals for the 2013 Finish-A-Long - two down, seven to go!  I might just get there!  If only I could stop starting new things...

she can quilt

Linking up with Finish it Up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts, and TGIFF, this week hosted by the talented Nat at Made in Home (seriously, this lady has a new born baby and she is still producing cute handmade items with startling regularity).

17 comments:

Susan said...

That backing is stunning- you have me making a beeline to see if I can find it! Of course the whole quilt is a winner and your friend should be very privileged to own it! Fabulous Adrianne!

Jess @ Elven Garden Quilts said...

I am so in love with this quilt, the design, the colours! Just fabulous.

Kirsten said...

Such a gorgeous quilt - the backing is perfect and I love the photos of it in the garden.

Jill said...

This is simple and beautiful. I love the patterned pieces you added here and there. Wonderful!

Alyce @ Blossom Heart Quilts said...

That backing is just perfection!

Megan said...

Really lovely Adrianne! And gosh cats are naughty aren't they? But they get away with it by being so cute!

Fran said...

Love the backing, great to find something so perfect for the job! Your photos are lovely too.

Nat at Made in Home said...

It is amazing! I love it. Thanks for linking in (and your lovely comment!)

Gemma@prettybobbins said...

What a great quilt and a perfect back! Cute cat too :)

Marit said...

That's a beautiful quilt and I love the pops of prints too and the back is fab!

vexa said...

WOW, really nice one!

Sylvia said...

Well done! I love the fab you used on the back!

M-R Charbonneau said...

Wow, it's beautiful! Congrats on the beautiful finish and getting your second one done for the FAL. Thanks for linking up with TGIFF!

Annabella said...

It's Pantone perefct - I love the freshness of this quilt. Beautiful finish (popping over from TGIFF).

Amira@littlemushroomcap said...

I love the simpleness of this quilt!!1 It makes me want to go and sew now! and I mean now. Stop browsing and go.. not this quilt..my W.I.Ps.. despite of a lot of packing to do.. LOL

Ali said...

This is such a great design. I love how graphic the top is and that you used a floral (voile!!) back as a subtle contrast. Lovely!

Carla said...

Your quilt is lovely done in green. Great finish! I just made one of these, but its not quilted.....